Monday, August 16, 2010

After the Funeral

Our neighbor passed away ten days ago while visiting friends and family in his native Iceland; the funeral was today here in town. We will miss his gentle presence.

The main tree on his lawn - just off from the front door - was shorter than the house when he and his family moved here in 1966. Now it covers the lawn and hosts a new family of herons. Isn't it beautiful, even in the rain?

It makes me wonder: what will this tree, planted this spring by the boys, be like if Husband and I stay here until the end?

Moments like this make me very glad to know that this life isn't even the beginning of it all ...

1 comment:

Elizabeth Channel said...

Oh, me too! And can you imagine what life is like for the other folks? I don't know how they manage honestly...such hopelessness...