Thursday, June 10, 2010

Seven is Magic

That was the title of my 2nd grade math book, and it comes to mind a lot when I think of Two. His reading skills have grown so much in the past few months, and he is finding more enjoyment in reading on his own and aloud to me as the weeks pass. Some examples of how he's grown:

He used to read Magic Treehouse books to me aloud; now he reads them alone in bed and narrates them back to me the next day.

He has dived into The Boxcar Children series with enthusiasm; he has read the first four to me and we started on number five last night. Other read-alouds on deck are Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look and How to Save Your Tail by Mary Hanson.

Together we've read:

Tales of Greek Heroes, by Roger Lancelyn Green

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl

The Bears' Famous Invasion of Sicily, by Dino Buzzati, and

Alice and Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Right now we're in the middle of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz; I've never read it, and I'm enjoying the differences from the film quite a bit.

I love watching him discover the magic of reading! It's so pleasant to snuggle down with him in the big bed at night and read and read and read. I close my eyes as he reads to me - it's my relaxation version of a glass of wine each night. His high, sweet voice speaks the words so clearly, and I fall more in love with my magic little seven year old with every chapter. Could there be anything better?

No comments: