Saturday, June 4, 2011

Just a Thought

I was talking with some acquaintances tonight - nice people, all of them, I have to say - and I was puzzled to find the conversation I walked into consisting of (A) decrying the insularity of all people who live in "small town America" (upstate NY and Katy TX in particular) while (B) using (A) as an excuse to never go outside Loop 610 in Houston, unless it's to (1) shop at The Galleria or (2) leave town altogether.

I have to say I'm confused. Using the supposed insularity of others to explain your own inability to get along with anyone "not your own kind" seems to not work very well as an argument. Just a thought, but perhaps some self-reflection and honesty is in order. Why not just admit it? Say out loud "I don't like people who aren't like me and I want absolutely nothing to do with them" and be done with it. After all, that's really what you said already - you just needed some circular self-justification to get there.

No comments: