Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeese!

I love cheese. At times I think it's one of my main reasons for living. Certainly when it comes to food it's up there very close to the top. And as much as I loved the sight (and taste) of the enormous cheese trays when Husband and I visited France years ago, at home I am pretty American and plain in my cheese tastes.

So here is my WFMW cheese fondue/cheese sauce recipe. It started out life as my Aunt Terri's cheese fondue (and it lives on that way) but one day I discovered it was the perfect thing to hide veggies under for the boys. So now we eat it at dinner on our veggies, and then break out the French bread for a late night snack with the leftovers. Enjoy!

Aunt Terri's Cheese Fondue

2 cups freshly shredded cheese - sharp white cheddar and monterey jack are my favorites
1 cup mayo (not low fat)
3/4 cup milk (doesn't have to be whole, but stay away from skim)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
generous dash Worcestershire sauce
sprinkle of white pepper

Combine and cook over low heat - a whisk works to get things together, and then you can let it cook slowly. Turn off the heat a few minutes before serving and it will thicken nicely.

To reheat: you can use the microwave to reheat but only if you promise to cook at 50% power. Otherwise it will separate and get all oily and nasty. Stir frequently as you're heating.

Serve over any steamed veggies - cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus - or as fondue with crusty bread. Silly fondue pot and miniature forks optional.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I inherited a fondue pot, which I was so excited about, but I've never used it. You are right, it would be a great way to hide those veggies!

Tari said...

Enjoy! The boys think it comes straight fom heaven - that works for me.