Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dinner out of the Pantry

After the BBQ feast yesterday, today we could barely eat. Seriously - I went to bed 9 hours after eating at Smitty's and I couldn't have eaten a thing. Today we eased back into eating slowly, and out of sheer laziness I cooked dinner out of the pantry. It turned out so good I'm sharing it with you.

1 can black eyed peas, with liquid
1 can diced tomatoes, with liquid (you could make these Rotel if you weren't cooking for my delicate flower-children
1/2 lb ground beef, cooked (or the equivalent amount of TVP if you've feeling vegetarian)
1/2 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 package Seeds of Change Tigris grains (in a ready to heat and eat pouch)

Chunk it all in a large saucepan, heat and eat. You can top it with some cheddar cheese if you want as well. Wow - lots of protein and whole grains, and it tasted great, too. I think I can make it through the evening without grazing on something bad. I like that.

No comments: