Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Numbah One Son*

Today, at 11:11pm, One is officially NINE YEARS OLD. Yes, the last single digit year is upon him. I can't even begin to describe how old that makes me feel, and how often I am starting to point out that I was TWENTY NINE when he was born, even though I turned 30 the same year.

Well, my dear, sweet, larger-by-the-second son:

Happy Birthday! You are a joy to be with. Your conversation is better than most adults I know. Your love of knowledge and learning is something to behold - you inspire me to learn more about the world, if only to avoid being caught out by your increasingly superior knowledge. At the same time, you are still a sweet little boy, and I count every kiss you give me and keep them close to my heart. I love that you are still young enough for me to take care of - to tuck into bed, cuddle after a nightmare, and kiss before you leave for school. I am so proud of your determination and hard work. You are so like your dad in this respect! If you tell someone you'll do it - it gets done (and done well). You can always be trusted to keep your word.

If there is one thing I could tell you - one thing I pray that you will have more of as each year passes by - it is that your love for Christ would grow and grow. All the things I listed above are the great and wonderful gifts He has given you, and your work for Him will be a gift to us all if you let Him guide you where He wants you to go. Keep reading the Bible, keep listening when He speaks to you, and all your knowledge and love and determination will come together into a life of service for our Liberating King. I pray this for you now and every day, in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Happy Birthday, most wonderful child. I love you all the way to the moon, and back.

*Our friends Mitzi and Jerry have christened One this - it's what they think of whenever they read about him here, and I love it.

2 comments:

SarahHub said...

Happy birthday!

Elizabeth Channel said...

Wonderful! Happy 9th! (It is a hard one. Mine turned nine on the 8th.)