Saturday, January 1, 2011

Behold the Power of the Pig

Usually, my nightmares come in the early morning, just before wake-up. The monsters of childhood are gone, since I know what real monsters look like now. Instead, friends die, Husband tells me he's never loved me, my children were never born: I am alone. Last night was especially bad: an old friend was here in Houston for cancer treatment and my mother in law knew and didn't tell me (logic plays no part in dreams, does it?), the children didn't exist, and I was hiding a lost puppy that everyone wanted to kill when Husband cruelly gave me away and laughed while the dog was hauled from my arms. I was angry with him, angry with the mother in law, crying and miserable. And then, slowly, my dreams began to change. There was no one there but my Husband, and we weren't fighting anymore. He smiled at me, I smiled at him, the nightmare melted away, and I began to wake, eager to start the day. Why did it all change? Because downstairs in real life Husband had begun to cook bacon, and as the smell wafted upstairs it. changed. everything.

Remember: you can never go wrong with bacon.

Happy New Year, y'all.

No comments: