Monday, June 15, 2009

To My Birth-Mother

Hi. Well, I guess that 39 years ago you had one hell of a day. I just wanted to say "hey" and "I love you" and "thanks". Mostly thanks for doing the hard thing, and not finding a doctor who was sypathetic enough to your college-student self to help you get an abortion. Thanks for walking around campus for all those months, hiding under a coat and still having people stare. Thanks for the lost friends, the disapproving aunts, the fights with your parents. Whatever it was you went through, I'm sure it sucked. And so, thanks. Thanks for knowing I was a person even before you heard my heartbeat or felt me move inside you.

I pray that God has blessed you for what you did. I hope that you changed other's minds about life because of your courage. And selfishly, I'd like to think that you'll never forget me.

Thanks always. And I'll never forget you - I promise.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Channel said...

Happy Birthday, friend! Great post. btw...

Deirdre said...

this is just beautiful.

Desi said...

I was searching for something birthmother related and come across this post...

I am a birthmother, and I can guarantee that she never forgot you...there is not a day that's gone by that I haven't held a special place in my heart for the son I placed. I love him and miss him unlike anything I could possibly describe. Contrary to popular belief it is not the “easy way out,” all I can hope is that it was the best decision for him!

Thank you for this beautiful post…from just a random birthmother.