Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Last Chocolate

I got The Bad Mommy Award tonight, and it came in a very odd form: I got the last chocolate from Two's latest goody bag. I came home, barely talked to the boys, spent two hours on horribly contentious conference calls, and then explained to a very tired Two at 9pm that I wasn't reading to him after all. He sniffled a bit, and then 5 minutes later appeared at my side downstairs with the offer of The Last Chocolate. He held my hand as we walked back up to his room, and gave me extra kisses to add to his gift.

How can a 7 year old be so empathetic? He constantly amazes me with his innate ability to sense when someone is hurting, and trying his best to heal them. One comes very late to this skill, although he has had some success in recent weeks. But whatever his age, Two has always been miles ahead on the invisible "empathy" scale. What will God make of this child as he grows up? I can't wait to find out!

No comments: