Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chicken Posole

A friend once gave me a recipe for this, but I've not only lost it, I've also managed to forget 75% of it. So tonight I made something else up instead. Here it is:

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips (I prefer chicken thighs, but tonight we had chicken breasts. Oh well.)
2 cans Rotel tomatoes, drained (mild or regular - depends on your audience)
2 cans white hominy, drained
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 bottle of beer - a light, summery one works nicely. Allow me to pause and plug my neighbor's summer brew. Yum.
1 1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
olive oil
avocados
grated Monterey Jack cheese

Saute onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to cook for a few minutes. Put aside on a plate. Add chicken and a bit more oil to the same pan and brown the chicken on both sides. Add the beer (Remember to drink the rest yourself. Don't you think you deserve it? I do.) and cook for 2 minutes or so. Add back in the onions/garlic mixture, as well as the chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer covered for 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and cover. Add hominy and Rotel to the pan and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes; you don't want to boil all the liquid away, just cook things a bit. Add the chicken back in, and serve topped with cheese, with avocado slices on the side.

It was over 100° today and this actually was not too painful to cook. That's saying a lot. Enjoy.

No comments: