Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Sundries: BBQ and Okra

I already confessed to developing a liking for pork barbecue, despite my deep and abiding love for All Things Texas. Since I've made the big confession, I might as well go all the way and share the sauce recipe I made up to go along with my new-found habit. Here it is:

Basic BBQ Sauce

1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup molasses
squirt yellow mustard
smaller squirt Chinese Rooster Sauce

Whisk together in a saucepan, heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, and you're done. It's just as good cold as it is warm.

I also found a fantastic okra recipe - one that does not involve either frying or tomatoes. I had to look long and hard for one that had neither, but I found this and then played a bit from there. Here you go:

Summer Okra

1 lb okra, stemmed and split in 1/2 long-ways
2 T butter
1 T bacon fat (you could just use more butter, but if you happen to have bacon fat, why not use it?)
2 small lemons (1 large one would work as well, wouldn't it?)
1/4 tsp ground fennel seed
3/4 tsp paprika (who cares what kind?)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp turmeric
dash of cinnamon
dash red pepper flakes
Plain yogurt (optional)

Combine the spices and set aside. Take the zest from both lemons and add to the spices, then juice the lemons and put that to the side as well.

Cook the okra in the butter and bacon fat on fairly high heat. Keep stirring until lightly browned. Add the spices + lemon zest (and maybe another T of butter if things are looking dry), stir well and cook another minute or two. Throw the lemon juice on, give it 30 seconds more heat, turn off and serve. You can add a small dollop of yogurt to the top if you like - or not.

No comments: