Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Supper

Husband tried something new in the smoker today: pork shoulder instead of brisket. As much as this Texas girl is loathe to admit it, I am in love. Yes, as soon as those glorious slices of pork hit my plate, and I dipped them in the cider-vinegary, molasses-y sauce I'd cooked up, I close to passed out cold, right at the table. So way back when, some of my unknown ancestors must have stopped on in North Carolina on their way to Somewhere Else; it can be explained no other way. No, this does not mean that I will stop eating Husband's brisket, or stop participating in pilgrimages to eat brisket at Smitty's, but it's kinda like when you have another child: there's a new place in your heart all of a sudden for the next little loved one.

Here are some pictures of my new sweet one and all of his side-dish friends:

A butt's best friend, the homemade sauce: (bless my adopted Texas heart, I said the "s" word - oh shame!)

Some homemade roasted red peppers, because everyone needs some condiments:

A new okra recipe - first a picture of One cooking it, and then finished with the spices added. I'll post the details soon:


Kelly's blue cheese cole slaw - perfection, as usual:

And the old summer stand-by, tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. Two is getting pretty good at preparing this for me start to finish. I like it.

The day could not be complete without my favorite summer dessert - yes, s'mores for the 10,000th time. I plan on eating them so much with the boys that they become one of our quintessential summer memories.



Happy eating, y'all.

No comments: