Thursday, November 6, 2008

More on the Election

My candidate lost on Tuesday, as I'm sure you're aware, but I have been suffused with the most overwhelming peace since I woke up Wednesday it's been unbelievable. It isn't a peace based on circumstances; it has to come solely from Christ, and for this I am unimaginably grateful. I was meditating on the most obvious passage that came to mind, from Philippians 4:6-7:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I made my request to God: I prayed for this election fervently. And although I don't think my request was granted (although only God knows) I have this transcending peace all the same.

This is so stunning to me - this gift, and the fact that I am able to receive it. Four years ago, had President Bush lost to John Kerry, I have to say that peace would have been the last thing I sought. Instead I would have relished my righteous anger, simmered myself in vitriol, and refused to accept any consoling peace from Christ. I can't say that I have made a huge journey of faith in the past four years, but it is comforting to realize that, as often as I stumble and fall, sometimes I do get a little farther forward.

Praise be to God, from whom all blessings flow.

1 comment: