Saturday, May 10, 2008

Booklist, II

I finished Till We Have Faces last night, and wow, there was lots of that I didn't understand! J, come talk to me quick about it! I am without a clue!

Another book I read recently was Kabul Beauty Shop, by Deborah Rodriguez. Very good read - quick and interesting. I'm not usually into girl-bonding books, but this was an exception. I've read The Kite Runner and The Bookseller of Kabul, and consequently like books on Afghanistan (hey, I even read Caravan when I was a teenager ...). I like Indian fiction better, but there's something about the spate of books about Afghanistan that's very compelling. I think it's the culture collision, or in particular with the Afghani books, the coming together of the 12th century and the 21st. Life is confusing enough for me without any of those conflicts - I can't imagine trying to contain such a thing inside myself.

1 comment:

Marcus and Meg Asby said...

The Kite Runner has been on my book list for over a year. Maybe this summer . . .