Thursday, May 22, 2008

Good Friends

Almost nothing replaces the advice of a good friend. Yesterday I was in a bit of a fit: One was invited to a birthday party tomorrow that involved going to see the newest Indiana Jones movie, rated PG-13. I knew if I said no I would be the uncool mom of the bunch, but my instinct was to do just that. With Husband buried under a 30 foot pile of paper in preparation for trial, I used the tried-and-true method of assistance: I emailed my girlfriends.

Oh I love my friends! Everyone I emailed send back such wisdom and support - they were all a joy to read. I wanted to share some of the wisdom that was sent to me - everyone's answer was "no, don't send him to the movie", but there were differences in each answer that I really appreciated. Here we go:

Erin pointed out that it's not the big stuff but the small stuff that worries her. The innuendo followed by the raised eyebrow, the camera focusing on cleavage - the kind of stuff that gets in your child's head and they don't even realize it. It's easier to talk about monsters or a scary fight scene, but this hidden stuff never comes out - it just seeps into their consciousness and does its damage.

Michelle pointed out that we are to think/dwell on things that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, anything of excellence, and anything worthy of praise - and having One spend the next few days with his thoughts filled with such an exciting and overwhelming movie (and not much else) wouldn't be the right thing for him.

Mary Ann reminded my that if the movie industry says 13, then what should I say?

Shelly talked about the darkness of some of the themes in the movie - skulls with supernatural powers - and thought that those images were definitely not for an 8 year old.

Jenny, Beth and Beth all said being thought of as an "overprotective mom" is always better than the alternative.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love your support when I am feeling wavery on something like this.

And when Husband finally staggered home from work, I got out "Indiana Jones" and "PG-13" and before I could say much more he looked stern and shook his head. My kids don't even need me - they just need y'all!

Thanks again for the blessing of being your friend (and to Husband, of being your wife). Love you all.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Jenny and I were discussing this last night. I remember my last year of teaching and one of my second graders was hosting a Titanic sleepover. HelLO! So I had the joy of deciding back then that I would just be the Uncool Mom.

And you know, the only thing worse than being the Uncool Mom - is being the Cool Mom!!

Tari said...

AGREED!