Monday, May 19, 2008

The Official Preppy Handbook, Part II

Did you know that these were popular again? Uh huh. I was in Nordstrom yesterday afternoon and two definitely un-dorky 16 year old girls were goggling all over them - they each bought a pair. I went up to them and asked and, sure enough, they said these were the thang. OMGosh. I am sooooo old.

Did you have a pair in high school? I did. Yup, I came home from the store and started pulling grey hairs out with the tweezers again. I'll be bald soon (unless I get back to the hairdresser for more highlights, that is). When the 70's started to come back, that was bad enough. Re-living all the fashion mistakes my mom made for me - since I was pretty much too young to pick out those white patent leather go-go boots myself, mom - was bad enough, but to have to spend the next 10 to 15 years looking around at my own teen fashion faux-pas is not at all tolerable.

A funny aside - did you know that Husband's high school was mentioned in The Official Preppy Handbook? And he wore madras blazers to class in nice weather, too. Yup, it's all going to come back and we'll be sorry, sorry, sorry.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I still beam with pride because Missy was the number two preppy name in the Handbook, after Muffy.

Tari said...

Husband's HS girlfriend was Mimi, and she had a personalized license plate on her Rabbit convertible. I've gotten so many digs in at him over the past 18 years for that one.