Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Me and My Bucket

We have a leak in the shower. It's an old shower, and I think the fixtures are original - at least it wouldn't surprise me. No matter how hard we try we can't get the hot water all the way off, so it drips. Hence, the bucket - it will keep us from fainting when the water bill gets here and save some water until I get paid at the end of the month and can call a plumber. In order to compensate for the leaking water, we turned off the toilet and use the bucket water to fill the tank instead. Hey, I may be over-educated, but I'm good in a household emergency, too.

At first I was depressed about the bucket. My job(s), which enable me to work from home and be with the boys, also don't provide the most stable income, so expensive things like plumbers sometimes have to wait a few days. But as I got used to my bucket - empty it and it re-fills with nice clean water in no time - I realized it really wasn't as bad as I thought. After all, Mitzi and Jerry spent 6 months bathing out of a bucket in Kolkata before they rented their new flat. And millions upon millions use a bucket for water too - except they don't use it to fill the toilet in their lovely air-conditioned home. Instead, they fill a bucket with filthy, disease-laden water that they then have to drink.

So I'm lucky - me and my bucket. And if just the sight of it reminds me of how much I have, I'll take my bucket any day.

No comments: