Saturday, June 7, 2008

Schlitterbahn and the Inking of America

We went to Schlitterbahn yesterday - all 4 of us - and WOW, what a fantastic trip! One rode everything in sight, no matter how high in the air; he and his dad took on several rides that Two wanted to sit out. Otherwise, we went on everything together; Two was the bravest 5 year old I've ever seen. He rode everything that wasn't a tunnel, and was especially fond of the "body chute" style rides, where you lie down with your arms crossed over your chest and fly to the bottom. He also rode the long tube rides alone, in his own black "big boy" tube (he hated the covered little kid tube with the bottom we tried to make him ride). I can't say enough good about the park itself - it was clean, covered with lifeguards and beautiful (especially the original part of the park). At one point we were walking along the Comal and saw a doe and fawn drinking on the opposite bank.

The only unfortunate part of a visit to a water park is that it uncovers the general unloveliness of ones fellow countrymen. I am no delight to the eyes in a bathing suit, but my modest "mom suit" at least covers all those parts I'm least fond of and tucks them in as much as possible. I wish the same could be said of the countless teenage girls in way too little bikini for their girth (or cup size). I also wish there were fewer tattoo parlors in the world. For a while I thought it was just a generational thing, but after seeing enough people my age and older sporting what looked like fairly new ink, I guess not. All in all, not a pretty sight.

But overall it was an amazing day. Seeing Husband wet, sunburned and tired with a big smile on his face was the best early birthday present I could ask for. He smiled all day, his brow unfurrowed, and he basically looked 10 years younger. Needless to say, the Blackberry stayed locked in the car. Oh, and good news to come in the near future about said Blackberry - I have to keep a secret for a while longer, but soon I'll get to spill my (happy) guts.

Hope your weekend is as good as ours is so far!

No comments: