Friday, June 27, 2008

Go to Timeout! Right Now!

I liked this article about the effectiveness of timeouts with children:

http://www.slate.com/id/2194331/pagenum/all/#page_start

Two's behavior is deteriorating in that summer-vacation kind of way: he loves predicability and structure, and not being in school every day makes him a little off-kilter. He takes that out on the handiest person he can find - me. So we've had our share of "no I will not go to time out" "oh yes you will" "oh no I won't" already this month. Not pleasant, and to be honest I don't have very good ideas on how to fix things. I will not let things deteriorate into spanking - the few times we've tried it, it never stopped the unwanted behavior, and the abject, over-apologetic child that emerges even after the most calmly administered spanking really turns my stomach.

But I'm not bringing all this up to spark a debate on corporal punishment. I merely want a good way to get my child to follow the rules he already knows perfectly well. This article helped explain the limited good a timeout can provide; now I need more concrete help in getting the little sucker to fall in line.

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wire coathanger heated on the stove for 10 minutes until it is glowing, works wonders.

Tari said...

Mr. Chan, you never change.