Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Our State Religion

Maybe I've been reading too much Frank Schaeffer (and Jesus for President) but this Voter Values Kit for Churches really gets my farm animal. They suggest in their promotional email that churches order soon, so they can host a "Christian Citizenship Sunday" around 4th of July. The email goes on to say:

"Just imagine the impact Christians could have on the direction of our government, the character of its leadership, and the moral health of our nation if we simply applied biblical principles to every aspect of our lives--including our participation in the democratic process. Remember, how you vote today impacts tomorrow!"
How exactly does voting in the USA involve "applying Biblical principles" to one's life? Where in the Bible are Christ's sermons on establishing democracy around the world (somehow I thought it was the kingdom of God we were to work on ...?)

I am tired to death of the idea that this is a nation run on Biblical ideas, or that it should be a nation run on Biblical ideas. From a secular perspective, I love this country: I love the freedom it has given me financially, socially and, yes, religiously. But I don't for one second mistake the freedom I have here to practice my religion as a religion in and of itself. And I also don't think that all that wonderful freedom (to make money, to spend it however I want) has made me a better Christian; in fact, all that lovely "pursuit of happiness" has more often than not driven me farther away from what God has planned for my life.

I wish religious leaders would get out of bed with politicians once and for all. The lie that we are serving Christ by serving the needs of US politicians needs to be tarred and feathered and run out of town. People around the world are suffering and we as Christians are called to help them. Christ sends us out into the world to give people physical and spiritual comfort, not market-based economies, sweatshops and iPods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that People should be encouraged to apply prayer and Godly discretion when they vote (and also when they do everything else) but I totally agree that there are too many people who get too caught up in politics.
Vote for the person you honestly think will do a good job, not necessarily the person who agrees with you.