Monday, April 28, 2008

Cold Tangerines

I've been reading like a madwoman lately - 4 great books in a row. Two of them were colors, and the one that brought me the most joy - sheer, pure joy - is Cold Tangerines.

Shauna Niequist writes in this book about the ordinariness and delight of everyday life. Her writing is so gifted, she pulls me into her own thoughts and fears in a way that makes me say, sometimes, "Stop! We're not supposed to tell everyone about that!" I felt such a kinship with her as I read this - as a mom, a woman, a Christian; frequently, as I read, sleepy in bed, I got confused about whether she was telling about what was going on in her head or in mine.

Ultimately, when you put this book down at the end you feel called to treasure your life even more than you already do. Auntie Mame was famous for saying "Life is a banquet and most poor beggars are starving to death!" I think that statement goes along with what's in this book. Life is meant to be lived - to be struggled with and celebrated and relished. We should cry about it, laugh about it, and dance through it, all the time realizing what an amazing gift it is to have this day. I need to hear that more often, to keep me from staring at my feet as I trudge along through a day that feels suspiciously like the last one.

If you want to read a chapter or 3, here is her website: http://www.shaunaniequist.com/. Personally, I recommend dropping what you're doing and going out right now to buy the book. Because life is too short not to be enjoyed, and reading a good book is one of its great pleasures.

Blessings.

No comments: