Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Quiverful?

I've lately learned about the "Quiverful" movement, based on the passage in Psalms that says

“Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them" (Psalm 127:3-4).”

As I understand it (and I've not read any books on the subject so if I'm misinterpreting, please excuse me) this line of thought encourages couples to eschew birth control altogether and instead have God determine the size of their family and the spacing of children.

This line of reasoning has bothered me greatly since I discovered it, and I've prayed and thought about it for some time. Having been committed to a smaller family for many years, it made me pause and think about whether that was something that God was desirous of for me after all. I thought it was, and the Quiverful arguments bothered me.

My main problem with the logic of the Quiverful proposition was this: if we refuse birth control as a way of trusting God, then why do we accept other forms of regulating family size? Why do we use pre-natal care, deliver babies under the care of a doctor or trained midwife, vaccinate them and take them to the pediatrician when they are sick? If God truly needs us to throw up our hands and do nothing in order for Him to be in control, then why don't we do it? I doubt seriously that Quiverful families fail to do all of the other things I list above, and that lack of consistency bothers me. If you're willing to let God control when and if you add a child to your family, then why aren't you willing to let Him take as many of your children as He wishes after conception or birth?

Today I found an article that made me feel much less alone on the subject: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/2006/1440_Does_the_Bible_permit_birth_control/.

This piece articulates much of my discomfort, and points to passages in Scripture that support the idea that since we don’t give up on the common sense and other tools that God gives us to make other decisions, family size and children shouldn’t be any different.

No comments: