Saturday, April 12, 2008

Super-Charged Saturday Pancakes

As you know, I've been trying out the Jessica Seinfeld "hide your veggies" cookbook. Here is my uber-healthy version of her sweet potato pancakes. It's less "hide your veggies" and more "eat your grains". One gobbled up 2 of these, Two ate 1 with a few comments, but it's gone at least.

Warning: this recipe only makes 8 pancakes, but 1 or 2 is more than enough for 1 person!

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use Arrowhead Mills Organic Stoneground Whole Wheat)
1/4 cup oat flour (Arrowhead)
1/8 cup raw wheat germ (this and next 2 are Bob's Red Mill)
1/8 cup whole ground flaxseed meal
1/4 cup almond meal/flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups lowfat buttermilk (or lowfat milk - your choice)
4 T vegetable oil
1 tsp Agave Nectar
2 eggs
1/2 cup pureed sweet potato
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

I mixed the dry and wet ingredients separately and then combined them. In a non-stick pan they didn't stick, although I used some non-stick spray for the first few just to be sure.

I'd love to come up with a way to lower the fat from the almond meal, eggs, oil and milk, but I do love all that (egg and milk) protein. The almond flour also adds 6 grams of protein to the entire batch. And the pancakes are still low in saturated fat, so I guess that's a good thing too.

Best of all, they taste delicious, so enjoy!

No comments: