Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Minute of Beauty

I'm trying to take the advice of our pastor and spend time each day looking for things of beauty. Not great works of art or the perfect sunset, but everyday beauty of the kind Shauna Niequist calls us to find.

Today, my beauty find is the carpool line. Nope, not joking. The kids sit on wooden benches in the shade of beautiful trees, and they are so animated and happy. They aren't waiting dully for pickup; instead this is another integral part of their day. It's a chance to play final games, compare notes about the day, giggle and tell stories. I almost hate it when I pull up to get One; he's having so much fun with his 2 best friends on their bench I don't like to break it up.

I love to get a glimpse of the life he has without me hovering - the life he's making for himself. I love to see when his choices are good ones, when he's overcome with happiness because of the goodness of his friends, when he handles conflict or disappointment with grace and maturity. My happiest moment each day is still when they are both in the car and we are headed home to be together, but I am so glad that One has these chances to learn who God created him to be all on his own.

2 comments:

Marcus and Meg Asby said...

I love this.

Not good for my baby fever, T.

Tari said...

You can pick him up at carpool any time you want, Meg! :)