Monday, April 7, 2008

Reading Colors

Right now I am reading Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. On deck is Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. So far, Blue Like Jazz isn't sucking me in, but then again I'm only on page 21. The most profound thing Miller has said so far was his reference to Houstonians walking around in October "with a certain energy, as if they are going to be elected president the next day, as if they are going to get married." I'm sure it will get better as I go on, or perhaps my profound-meter is just broken this week. I'll post again when I'm done with it and let you know more.

I have higher hopes for Tangerines; Shauna Niequist spoke at church a while ago and it felt like my mirror had woken up and was talking to me. Not that I could talk in so organized a fashion for so long, or anything like that, but she, like, spoke to me, man. I'm adopted and I have that long-lost twin thing that I think all adopted people have; for a moment when she was talking I wanted to stand up and ask her where she was born. When I'm done with Tangerines (which may be July if I keep falling asleep reading) I'll post my thoughts on that one as well.

No comments: