Thursday, October 9, 2008

Palin Hating

Katie Granju makes an interesting argument on why many women don't like Sarah Palin.

I can't say I disagree with what she's saying - I haven't seen much evidence that Palin realizes she can do what she does because others went before her and had a much harder time than she did. I'm not sure she realizes that women like my mother in law, who wanted to work full time and raise a family in the 60's and 70's, exist. Or that they did crazy things like she did: she once smuggled her 8 1/2 months pregnant self onto a plane to NYC because she was afraid she'd be fired if she told her boss she was too pregnant to travel. Yow.

But what I don't know is if this is really the reason why women have reacted poorly to Palin. The arguments I've heard sound nothing like Katie's well-written piece. I hear "she's stupid" and "she's pro-life and therefore will never be a feminist" from the Left. From the Right I hear "no women with children should work outside the home."

So while I like Katie's argument, I don't think it reflects the real-world reasons why women are lashing out at Palin. The hatred I've seen is far more visceral and poorly thought-through than she wants to believe.

No comments: