Friday, August 15, 2008

I Hate My Job

It's been over a week and I officially hate my new job. Okay, I know that will change eventually, but right now I am a misery.

I have no work. My internal clients don't know I'm here. No one will send them an email telling them I'm here. I don't know who they are or I'd send the email. I had to beg my boss yesterday to ask the people in this department who inherited my work when my predecessor left to give it back to me. So far, the response has been deafening. Deafening silence, that is.

I am not being paid. I am a contractor and it takes several weeks just to set me up on the billing system. Once I am set up on the system and can invoice the company it takes 30 days for those invoices to be paid. September 30 is looking optimistic for a first paycheck. Which doesn't make paying for groceries, car payments or babysitters very easy.

I miss the boys. I sit in one place at this desk for 9 hours a day. I have no one to talk to except my secretary. I WANT MY CHILDREN. I sit here thinking "don't cry don't cry don't cry" for hours at a time. To distract myself I surf, I post - all in contravention of the company's "fair use" policy, I'm quite sure. And every time I'm not touching the computer the screen saver comes on and I watch scrolling pictures of the boys and I want to run to the parking lot, get in the car and race home.

I hate this. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

This has been your pity party for today. Aren't you glad you stopped by? :)

3 comments:

SarahHub said...

Oh, what a rough time! It will get better. Soon you'll have more work than you want to deal with, and you'll think back fondly on this time...

Or you will quit.

Either way, it will work out. Just give it time! Until then, I'm enjoying your posts!

Tari said...

Thanks for saying so!

I have no doubt it will get tolerable.

But there's just something about going through life with the dial set on "tolerable" that gets me.

Mozi Esme said...

I'm so sorry! I had a job that was a bummer like that for a while - and it amazed me that they wanted to keep me on, and on, and on. I kept telling myself to be grateful for the paycheck and glad that I could leave at 5 on the dot every day. Finally they moved out of town and I chose not to take their moving package and move with them.