Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Waiting for Kindergarten

I just read this article about how "redshirting" for Kindergarten is a bad idea for so many reasons. There is so much wrong with it I don't know where to begin. But that won't stop me:

1. the author says that holding back upper middle class kids makes it harder for low income kids who don't get held back. So remember: your job as a parent isn't to raise your child, it's to raise everyone else's, too.

2. how many public schools do you see these days with the real income disparity that the author discusses in #1 above, anyway? Oh, I know - look in Washington DC, where all those good-hearted and caring politicians take a stand for public education by sending their kids to local schools and not somewhere like St. Albans.

3. the author somehow forgets how to do Kindergarten math by saying that starting your child at an older age means fewer years of school for him/her. Huh? K-12 still means K-12, right? I count 13 years - what do you get?

All in all, a foolish article about trying to further regulate parents' ability to choose what's best for each of their children. Don't waste your time.

3 comments:

Mitzi and Jerry said...

Just letting you know I found your blog through Meg's and I have been reading it a couple of times a week. Your readership is probably wider than you think. - Mitzi

Amanda said...

you post the most interesting article reviews - i love them! i agree with you on this one as well. thanks for the love on my blog too - so nice to have another familiar face! :)

Tari said...

thanks, and you're welcome!