Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Good Muddle

What with the Olympics in China and Russia stomping on its neighbors, it's been the week of the despotic dictators. Feels almost like the 80's again. Then again, as I've said before, I'm a Miracle girl, so to me there's a natural connection between the 2 subjects.

The more I read and hear about the perfection of these Olympics - the sublime and precise opening ceremonies in particular - the more I keep thinking of this quote from what was, for Agatha Christie, a bit of a potboiler. Nevertheless, it's a favorite:

"Why do you decry the world we live in? There are good people in it. Isn't a muddle a better breeding ground for kindliness and individuality than a world order that's imposed, a world order that might be right today and wrong tomorrow? I'd rather have a world full of kindly, faulty, human beings, than a world of superior robots who've said goodbye to pity and understanding and sympathy."

--- Agatha Christie, Destination Unknown

Amen.

No comments: