Monday, August 4, 2008

Strange Laundry Facts

A few weeks ago I stopped using dryer sheets with my laundry. Instead I use a 1/2 cup vinegar in the wash cycle and another 1/2 cup in the rinse cycle of the washer. So far so good. There is no vinegary smell when everything is dry, and it's all relatively soft. The weird thing: the laundry takes less time to dry and there's less lint than there was with the dryer sheets.

I have no idea why this is so, although I'm sure there's a logical quasi-scientific reason for it. I'm just glad: less dry time and less wear-and-tear on our clothes sounds fine with me. One more good thing: the vinegar cuts the soap to such an extent I no longer have to double-rinse our clothes, so we're saving on water use as well.

If you don't like the smell of vinegar but you'd like to try this anyway, add an essential oil to the rinse portion of vinegar - something loud like peppermint - and you won't smell the vinegar even when the clothes are wet. Pretty cool, hmm?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

no way! the clothes don't smell like vinegar?? that's just craziness! i' going to have to try that, you def have me intrigued on this one. wow :P