Friday, August 1, 2008

Picking Schools

How did you pick your child's school? If it's public, did you have a choice, and, if so, did you look at your public school closely before you decided "hey, cool - free and great! we have it made!"? If it's private, how many places did you look at? What made you pick the one you did? Finally - home schooling? There's tons of great reasons for that - what are yours?

I ask because we've had such a strange journey with schools for the boys - I've written about it before, but I haven't talked much about where we are now and why we are there. Here is our story:

As I've said, we pulled both boys out of school for the 2006-2007 school year - One left and officially home schooled first grade with me from November 1 on, and Two hung on until March and then left. Although we liked home schooling - and it worked - we still wanted to give school another try and see if we could find something that fit the boys and allowed me to work. So, as it turned out, Two spent this past year at a spectacular pre-school, and One went Montessori.

Now they both go to school together: starting at the end of this month, One will return to his Montessori classroom as a third grader and Two will start Kindergarten at the same school. Montessori has been such an amazing success for us, and like most great ideas, it came about in a very round-about way.

Their school is 13 miles from the house, and I'd heard of it but never visited. I wasn't even interested in Montessori; I had a lot of misconceptions about it - the biggest of which was that it wasn't very good for boys. I was near their current school looking at a Catholic all-boys school (!) and drove by the Montessori school on the way back to the freeway. You can barely see it from the road, but I spotted it somehow and suddenly decided to swing the car around and stop by. I wound up staying and talking to the admissions director and later returned for 2 classroom visits. After the visits I actually decided the environment wasn't for the boys, and although we'd already put in applications the subject was dropped.

Last fall Two went off to pre-K and One started at a small cottage school at the edge of our neighborhood. One's first couple of days were rough but we figured it was just transitional. So we hung out, but I still, somehow, had enough sense to call the Montessori school and ask for help. One's situation deteriorated quickly; the children were given lectures by the middle school teachers after the school fired the elementary teacher (One couldn't write fast enough and got nothing out of it). The owner's daughters hated him; the youngest ransacked his locker while the fat middle one sat on One to stop him from interfering. Finally, the Montessori school called: they had a spot for that year and could we come for an interview? The minute One and I walked into that classroom I knew it would work. One and the teacher bonded immediately, and we left with light hearts. He switched over the next Monday and has loved it ever since.

I'm not sure in retrospect why I was so worried about Montessori not fitting our boys. The combination of freedom to explore so many subjects along with the structure of the teaching methods has been exactly what the doctor ordered. Also, the fact that subjects like math are covered in so many different ways helps keep One interested, and also means that if he doesn't get it so well one way, he'll pick it up another. Two made so much progress last year I know he is ready for Kindergarten in this stimulating and challenging environment.

I love watching how school has matured them - it's helping them to grow up, to stretch their imaginations and work out what they like best. It is truly a joy to have found the right school, one that does all those things that school should do for our children.

4 comments:

Marcus and Meg Asby said...

Marcus and I talk a lot about schools, homeschooling, montessori, waldorf, public . . . I think it all comes down to YOUR kid and what works for him or her. At least that's what I think right now. :)

Anonymous said...

This is truly my biggest parenting angst. For one, I think I know TOO much about education and schools and pros and cons, so that I am constantly second guessing and wondering and researching...blah.

As an educator who has worked in a public school for almost my entire career, and a product of k-12 public education, I'm a huge advocate of public schools. That stance has lessened a bit since moving to Texas, and knowing what public schools are required to teach. Still, my kids are in public school and I will be returning to the classroom this month in a public high school (eek!)

We bought our home based on extensive research and discussion regarding the elementary school. I am confident that our elementary school is absolutely topnotch, within the confines of the Texas public school curriculum. I worry a lot about my 2nd son who starts kindergarten this fall - I think he would benefit more from a private school, but the money is not there. I think my daughter (starting kindergarten the following year) will be just fine at this public school, as my oldest is (starting 3rd grade).

If the year doesn't go well for my middle son, we'll have to seriously see what we can do re: money and a private school. But then, I'm not sure how I feel about 2 children being at one school and the other being at a private school. Blah. It's all so hard.

And forget about middle and high school. I don't know WHAT to think about that coming down the pike in a few years. I'm hoping that after teaching at the local public high school and talking to a lot more people in the system, I'll have a better grasp on the decision.

At any rate, it's stressful and there are no easy answers!

Sandra said...

Minivan has your site on her blog roll so I decided to pop over.

I always thought we'd send our girls to public school. We moved when they were little when we'd out grown our 1st house. I'm not thrilled with the neighborhood and less thrilled by the school we'd have to attend due to jurisdictions, but I love my house and the friends on my street. I agonized over paying for private school (pricey!) or sending to a school rated 6 out of 10 (yikes!). I discovered catholic schools were the cheapest type of private we had in our area. Some close ex-neighbors of ours sent their girls to one in particular and we decided to follow suit. I'm very happy with the school, the parents, the entire school community actually and surprised as hell that my kids attend catholic school. We're not your traditional catholic family.

I was intrigued by your comment about your son and the math he learns thru Montessori. My oldest (going into 3rd grade) struggles with math. I think she needs more manipulatives.

Tari said...

Sandra,

The manipulatives are a big part of Montessori math - I didn't think my son needed them but apparently he does. They really help him understand things better. Now that my 5 year old is going to K, I'm so glad they have lots of them at school because he is the touch-everything-to-see-how-it-works kind of kid who will really like using the different Montessori materials.

From what I remember from home schooling, Saxon Math is The Big "manipulatives" math curriculum. If your daughter continues to struggle you might check out getting something like their basic kit and a workbook or 2, for after school or during the summer. It's a super-respected math curriculum and you can order it lots of places online.