Monday, July 14, 2008

Clearing out Debris

This weekend Husband and I did a lot of yard work. Not at all pleasant in this heat, but since our backyard looks more like a jungle than residential property, it's very necessary. This is our pile so far, but we still have lots more work to do. Despite the heat, the sweat, the headaches, and the huge stinking spines on just about every plant we encounter, the work is satisfying. I dug up by the roots some ugly plants I've been staring at since we moved in - I never liked them, and it felt so good to jump on the shovel and root them out. Thwack! they went into the pile! It sounded like music!

I wish I was as good as rooting out and pruning back the things in my life I don't need. I can see what they are most of the time - the things I'd like to get rid of - but like the backyard, it's hard to know where to start and even harder to keep at it. Bad habits, negative attitudes, even [gasp] sin - they need to go, just like this pile of weeds and brush. But they stick, as clinging as the vines on my back fence, and I'm seeking the motivation to get to work.

No comments: