Friday, July 25, 2008

How I Met my Husband

Let's make this a meme - JMom, will you be it?

Husband and I met on January 26, 1990 at Colgate University in Hamilton, NY. I lived with 3 girlfriends in a campus-owned apartment - in a little village of 1970's 4-plexes. One of the 2 upstairs units in our building "belonged" to a fraternity, and 4 new guys from that frat were moving in for 2nd semester. We knew 3 of them, like 2 of the 3, and the 4th was Mystery Man. We scoped out his picture on the wall at the Beta house and all decided we had never seen him before in our entire lives. Hrumph. Who did he think he was?

So, on January 26th - a Friday - I was reading in my room and I heard socializing going on in the living room. The 2 nice neighbors had come to call and they'd brought Mystery Man with them. I came out to visit, hampered by the fact that I had a whacking great case of trench foot from spending 3 weeks of Christmas break in the Guatemalan jungle. Mystery Man was very cute in person: a little pouty with big green eyes. He asked me what was wrong with my foot and I refused to tell him (how do you tell a cute boy you have trench foot? Well, you just don't. It isn't possible). He kept asking and I kept telling him to mind his own business, hinting that it was too disgusting for words. All of a sudden he leaped off the couch, grabbed my foot and dragged it up behind me for a good look. Saying "you're right, that's absolutely disgusting" he dropped my foot and sat back down. I glared at him and hissed that he must be the new roommate. He said "yes, and you must be Tari" in an equally nasty voice.

Thus love was born! We went out to dinner together a week or so later, and always considered January 26th as our dating "anniversary". So much so that, when we decided to elope, Husband deliberately picked Friday January 26, 1996 as our wedding day. See, I told you it was all an act - he's a romantic sweetie after all!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a fun story! Here's mine: http://lotsofscotts.blogspot.com/2006/11/prequel-aka-how-i-met-your-daddy-part.html