Friday, July 18, 2008

Women in Science

I love this post from Robbin at My Level of Awareness about why she chose the science career she did. Great quote:

"I may be accused of being a dilettante, but I only get one pass at this life, and I want the whole enchilada, not just a narrow slice. I am not saying that the pursuit of science does not enhance the quality of life. I think it can be argued that it has benefited millions, if not billions, of people, reduced suffering and saved lives. But intellectualism is not the entire font of human contentment and scientific accomplishment is not the full measure of a life well-lived."

I think this "human element" is something that too few people take into consideration when looking at why women are where they are in certain careers, and why there may be fewer of them in some careers than in others. I think Robbin's point is very valid for all careers, not just the sciences. If there are fewer women equity partners in large law firms than men, if more women physicians choose radiology over neuroscience - it's not because we can't do it. It's because we want something else. That sounds like a simple point, but it's one that is overlooked far too often.

No comments: