Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Hate Rachel Ray

Isn't that a mean thing to say? I think this in my head when she simpers at me from the Triscuit box in the snack food aisle, but actually writing it up there was a little bold, if I do say so myself.

Why do I hate the woman?

I can't stand self-promotion. I know I'm supposed to be admiring of a little ole' upstate New York girl who made herself into an entire enterprise, but I just can't jump on that bandwagon. It's not just her - she's just my favorite dislike in this category. I don't like Oprah, Martha - any of them. Hey, I don't even like the feeble internet version, Pioneer Woman.

I don't want you to market yourself to me. Just be yourself. Be a person, not a product. If you have something interesting to contribute to the world, get on with it, and stop making me look at you every time I turn on the television. When you franchise yourself like that you sell yourself, turning yourself into a doll-shaped version of who you really are. And it irritates me. Women are bought and sold metaphorically all the time in our culture (just look at fashion magazines) and they're bought and sold for real in too many parts of the world; why would you do it to yourself?

Oh, and Rachel is a lousy cook - I'm with Tony Bourdain on that one.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Channel said...

I agree. She makes me nervous. And now she's made me dislike triscuits--even the healthy whole grain ones.

Melissa said...

I feel better now about making the theme for my son's 5th birthday party (which is more of a holiday party for our friends and their kids given his DOB is 12/23) "I Hate Rachel Ray" - prompted when I went to Evite to create the invitation and found a big obnoxious Rachel-Ray-styled Evite format was featured. Fortunately our friends generally get my warped sense of humor and the kids didn't seem too damaged by the concept.