Friday, July 11, 2008

On My Bookshelf

We've been hitting the Alabama bookstore and Amazon so much lately I think we need some kind of 12-step recovery process to stop. Here is what is lined up waiting for me to read. It may be Christmas before I get through these.

Dorothy Sayers The Whimsical Christian - thanks to Tony Woodlief's recommendation
My Life in France by Julia Child - I've been picking this up and putting it down all summer. It's easy to take it to swim practice and then go a week without it. A good read, but nothing earth-shattering.
C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves. This was a Christmas present from Husband, so I need to get on it.
A View of the Ocean by Jan deHartog. I love deHartog's writing and hate that so much of it is out of print. God bless Amazon!
The Picture of Dorian Gray - never tried to read any Wilde except for Earnest. We'll see.
Flannery O'Connor's Everything that Rises Must Converge. I am excited to read her as an adult with a more Christian perspective. I think the last time I read any of her stories was in high school; not much was absorbed. That would have been a personal problem.
Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved The Kite Runner, and I've been waiting to buy this one for a while.
The Duke of Deception by Geoffrey Wolfe. I've read his brother Toby Wolfe's growing-up memoir, and I'm eager to see what life was like with the other parent.
Books 2 and 3 in Frank Schaeffer's Calvin Becker trilogy, Saving Grandma and Zermatt. The first in the series, Portofino, was laugh-out-loud-until-Husband-kicks-me-under-the-covers funny.

Well, that's all. Just a little light summer reading. I'm going to put down my Agatha Christie paperback re-reads and get started any minute now, I promise.

No comments: