Thursday, July 24, 2008

Husband's Bookshelf

Lest you think that the boys and I are the only ones doing all the reading around here, allow me to take you on a short tour of Husband's booklist. He keeps piles of books by the bed - his favorite spot to read. Unlike One and I, he is not a fan of the read-and-eat method of sustaining oneself.

Anything by P.J. O'Rourke. My love for PJ is eclipsed by Husband's, who can tell you which piece appears in which book without pausing for thought. And he's always right.

The Bible in 90 Days. He's reading this now.

Mark Twain's non-fiction, including The Bible According to Mark Twain, Mark Twain's Helpful Hints for Good Living, Life on the Mississippi and Following the Equator.

Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael series.

Dumas, but especially The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.

The Nasty Bits and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

Jorge Luis Borges' Collected Fictions and Selected Poems.

He's also a fan of Tolstoy, Poe, Reginald Hill, Graham Greene, P.G. Wodehouse, Tolkien, Orwell, and Peter Mayle's early Provence non-fiction (before his move-to-the-Hamptons nonsense).

UPDATE: Husband tells me he has never read one word by Reginald Hill - I am so surprised; I would have sworn in court he'd read all the Daziel and Pascoe novels. But he did read Ngaio Marsh - that much I have confirmed.

No comments: